Thursday, June 02, 2011

Education in Crisis - comparing low-performing schools

I was one of only eight educators in my school district who chose, of their own accord, to relocate to one of the lowest-performing schools within my state. Of those eight who applied for transfers to this crisis school, I was the only one hired. So, am I crazy or what?

The previous year concluded with an overstaffing of 62% of this school's 2009-2010 staff, including the former Technology Coordinator whom I replaced. By year's end, I was curious whether the replacement of all these teachers plus the three administrators equated to positive opinions about the restructuring taking place? And, I was still interested in keeping up with news of the school I had poured my heart and soul into for the previous two years.

This year, the TELL survey allows me to make those comparisons. See the TELL Kentucky survey for my current school here. Then, compare those stats to my previous school here.

What the survey doesn't tell you is that both schools listed are, in fact, two of the lowest-performing schools in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. The middle school discussed actually feeds the selected high school. Having worked at both campuses, I have a unique viewpoint to contrast both facilities, the current administrations, most teachers and support staff.

In some circles of conversation, one survey reflects a positive administration, while the other paints a picture of a school struggling with its new administration. Regarding community relations, the parental influence and involvement is very low in both schools. Finally, teachers are viewed as respected contributors to a team in one school, while having no voice in the other. It appears, from the survey, that one school will rise from the ashes, while the second will continue as an educational facility in crisis.

2 Comments:

At 2:15 AM, Blogger aisha said...

ur blog is really nice and interesting, You have maintain it so beautifully that I truly like & enjoy it
1978 Toyota Landcruiser AC Compressor

 
At 2:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a better-quality article as they all are. I make fun of been wonder wide this an eye to some beat now. Its great to receive this info. You are fair and balanced.

Chevy W5 Turbocharger

 

Post a Comment

<< Home